Power Surge and Loss Protection
To minimize the impact of losses or surges in the supply of AC power to the instrument, LI-COR recommends the use of a surge protector in addition to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). In some cases, one or both may be included with the instrument when purchased. If you wish to obtain one, the following products are suggested:
- Surge Protector: Tripp-Lite ISOBAR® 6 Ultra
- Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS): APC® BR1300G
- Surge Protector: Tripp-Lite ISOBAR EURO-4
- Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS): APC BR1200GI
120V AC, 50Hz/60Hz:
230V AC, 50Hz/60Hz:
If these products are not available, or you would prefer to use a different supplier, the specifications of the products above (available at the provided websites) can serve as a reference for what should be sought in a surge protector and UPS to provide adequate protection. In general, the following recommendations apply:
- For Surge Protectors, lower clamping voltage and let-through voltage ratings and higher suppression current ratings indicate better protection. A maximum clamping voltage of 140V (for 120 V AC supply power) or 300 V (for 230 V AC supply power) is recommended.
- For UPS, the higher the output power capacity, the longer the UPS will be able to power the instrument in the event of a power outage. A UPS with an output power capacity rating of at least 720 Watts / 1200VA is recommended.
To ensure proper functioning of these components, it is very important that the Surge Protector receive power directly from the building or wall outlet; as shown in the diagram above, the surge protector should not be powered by the UPS.