LI-COR offers a unique opportunity for college students through our Career Development Program. The Career Development Program provides internship opportunities that involve students in real-world experience... Read More
"I believe it is more important to hire for talent than it is for experience."
— Bill Biggs,
LI-COR co-founder and president
U.S. all based in Lincoln, Nebraska unless otherwise noted
LI-COR Biosciences participates in the Department of Homeland Security's E-Verify procedure.
Click here to view the E-Verify Participation.
SENIOR DESIGN ENGINEER, MECHANICAL
POSITION OVERVIEW: LI-COR Biosciences is looking for a creative and innovative senior level mechanical engineer to join our team of expert engineers and scientists to develop the next generation of precision optical and electronics instrumentation in our Environmental product line for applications such as global climate change and plant physiology research, food production, and trace gas measurement.
QUALIFICATIONS OVERVIEW: The ideal candidate will have a BSME (MSME a plus), 7+ years of mechanical design experience (5+ with a MS) in the mechanical design, development and testing of optical and electronic instrumentation deployed in outdoor environments. They will have extensive experience with mechanical 3D CAD software (Creo preferred), be experienced with CFD simulation software, have very strong analytical and problem solving skills, have a high level of technical knowledge, and be experienced in opto-mechanical design, electronic packaging, heat transfer, mechanism design, materials and design for manufacturing and test. Knowledge of GD&T a plus.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION: Create, design, build and test mechanical and opto-mechanical subsystems for LI-COR products in a multi-disciplined, concurrent development team setting. Engage in product definition and mechanical architecture development in collaboration with Users and Marketing. Interact with both internal and external manufacturers to support new product designs and current product manufacture. Perform and/or direct mechanical testing to ensure product meets specifications and expectations. Support the manufacturer of both current and future LI-COR products.
A. EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science or Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering or its equivalent is required.
B. EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience with BS, 5 years with MS, or proven performance in mechanical design for electronic instrumentation is required
- Demonstrated creativity and mechanical design abilities
- Demonstrated engineering analysis capabilities
- 3D CAD/drafting experience (GD&T experience desirable)
- Familiarity with electronics packaging/enclosures design
- Sustained record of independent creative design activity and expertise with electronics packaging/enclosure techniques and mechanical testing (stress, vibration, thermal)
- Sustained record of product development and problem solving experience to enable leading the mechanical design team through the development process
- Ability to mentor and train others to accomplish technical goals
- Demonstrated mature technical judgment
- Demonstrated understanding of engineering fundamentals and mathematics
- Sustained record demonstrating initiative and motivation
- Demonstrated creativity in generating and testing new products, applications or technical ideas
- Demonstrated interpersonal and networking skills by mentoring individuals, team participation, facilitating small group activities, group teaching, seminar presentations or customer communication
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Demonstrated dependability, team player, positive attitude and good attendance
- Demonstrated high ethics, integrity, honesty and patience
- Mechanical design team leader in the product requirement definition, mechanical architecture, design and implementation of mechanical and opto-mechanical subsystems
- Interface with Users and the Marketing department concerning product features and functions
- Make Customer visits to understand applications Use two and three-dimensional CAD to design parts
- Research potential hardware products
- Build, test and troubleshoot prototype designs
- Integrate and test mechanical subsystems into final product
- Function as Project Leader when assigned
- Gain a basic understanding of the problem being addressed with the product
- Assist with project development schedules
- Keep documentation of design and updates.
- Review trade publications for new parts, techniques and ideas
- Mentor other engineers
- Light Work-Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly
- Other job related duties as assigned
SR. DESIGN ENGINEER, OPTICAL
POSITION OVERVIEW: LI-COR Biosciences is looking for a creative and innovative senior level Optical Engineer to join our team of expert engineers and scientists to develop the next generation of high performance optical imaging systems for our Biotechnology product line for use in proteomics research and other imaging applications.
QUALIFICATIONS OVERVIEW: The ideal candidate will have a BS in Optical Sciences, Optical Engineering or Electrical Engineering, (MS or higher preferred), and 7+ years of optical design experience (5+ with a MS or higher) in the optical design, development and testing of optical and electronic instrumentation deployed in laboratory environments. They will have very strong knowledge of and experience with: geometrical optics; optical imaging; image analysis; fluorescence (fluorescence of near-IR dyes a plus); filter selection and specification; CCD’s and other photodetectors; other optical component design, selection, characterization and testing; optical simulation software (TracePro and OSLO a plus); optical background suppression methods. Must: have very strong analytical and problem solving skills; have a high level of technical knowledge; be highly motivated by technical opportunities and challenges; be a finisher; be experienced in optical design, setup, experimentation, testing, troubleshooting. Knowledge and experience of other engineering disciplines (EE, ME, SW) a plus.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION: Create, design, specify, build, test, and support optical systems and subsystems from the component level to the system level for LI-COR Biosciences’ products in a multi-disciplined, dynamic, concurrent development team setting. Participate in product requirement definition, optical system architecture development, design and development, testing verification and production support for products in the Biotechnology and/or Environmental Divisions.
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science in Optics, Optical Engineering, Optical Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or their equivalent is required.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Minimum 7 years; experience with BS, 5 years with MS, or proven performance in designing optical instrumentation.
- Demonstrated knowledge and creative abilities in the design and specification of optical systems and subsystems from the component level to the system level.
- Demonstrated experience with, and a thorough understanding of, optical filtering including thin film technologies.
- Demonstrated skills using optical modeling software tools such as ZEMAX and OpTaliX.
- Sustained record of independent creative design activity and expertise with optical systems and subsystems.
- Sustained record of product development and problem solving experience.
- Ability to mentor and train others to accomplish technical goals.
- Thorough and strong understanding of optical engineering fundamentals and principles.
- Solid understanding of optical design, component specification, development, testing, and design for manufacturability.
- Self-starter and highly motivated. Enjoys challenges. Proven drive to achieve goals.
- Creative. High insight, curiosity and problem solving ability. High attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound engineering decisions.
- Good interpersonal and networking skills.
- Team player. Enjoys and works well with other people in a team environment.
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English. Ability to communicate with customers, co-workers, manufacturers.
- Dependable, positive attitude and good attendance.
- High ethics, integrity, honesty, patience.
- Willingness to travel--to trade shows, technical conferences, customer sites. Occasional overnight and some international travel may be required.
- Optical design team leader in the design, specification, development and testing of optical components, subsystems and systems, for the development of production instrumentation for both the Environmental and Biotechnology product lines.
- Participate in and lead product requirement definition and optical architecture development.
- Interface with customers and marketing personnel to define product features and functions.
- Interact with both internal and external manufacturers to support new product designs and current product manufacture.
- Design and validate procedures for evaluating the performance of various optical components, subsystems and systems.
- Develop efficient optical alignment and performance testing procedures and fixtures for manufacturing.
- Direct and/or perform system testing to ensure the product meets specifications and expectations.
- Support the manufacture of both current and future LI-COR products.
- Mentor and train other engineers.
- Generate and maintain engineering specifications and documentation.
- Review trade publications for new parts, techniques and ideas.
- Attend conferences and/or user sites to understand user needs and competitive landscape.
- Light Work-Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly.
- Other job related duties as assigned
Sales & Marketing
Position Overview: The position will be responsible for providing leadership in strategic and tactical marketing for products or product lines as assigned. As a Senior Marketing Manager, increased responsibility and accountability will be given/expected in determining positioning, promotion, pricing and market expansion of current products (hardware, software, reagents, services), as well as identifying new markets, products, applications and improvements within the Biotechnology market environment. Actively participate in development of the marketing strategy, capturing domain marketing plans and managing interfaces with all other departments in the company assuming a leadership role to draw a consensus for product development, marketing activities, sales activities, etc. Provide support for the Biotechnology Strategic Planning Team in the development of the Biotechnology Strategy across all domains. Responsible for mentoring Marketing Product Managers in their role, serving as a resource and consultant.
Education: B.S. or M.S. in life sciences. MBA preferred but not required.
Experience & Skills:
- Minimum eight (8) years experience in sales, product management and/or applications and field support of molecular biology reagents or instrument systems.
- Minimum five (5) years experience leading and working with sales forces and/or distributors.
- Minimum five (5) years experience in business analysis (marketing, market research, finance).
- Demonstrated expertise in multiple new product launches in the life science marketplace. Served as a project leader for a minimum of three (3) new product introductions, managing the project from conception through post launch support.
- Demonstrated expertise with the capital instrument and reagent sale processes and customer support through actual sales situations and customer interactions.
- Demonstrated excellence in both verbal and written communications.
- Demonstrated ability to listen and understand.
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal communications.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well as a public speaker.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in teams, with multiple disciplines and cultures – seeking to understand the paradox of polarized parties working to create the best answer for the common good – seeking to build consensus.
- Self-starter and motivated.
- Creative. High curiosity and high problem solving ability.
- High ethics, integrity, honesty, perseverance.
Market Development and Growth
- Participate in Market Research efforts to determine product concept viability.
- Identify and establish marketing collaborations that support product line development and expansion.
- Work with all business components (NA, Europe and International) to establish sales strategy and transition technology to the marketplace in concert with the Sales force.
- Provide leadership to other Marketing Managers in their roles, providing mentoring and guidance in the processes of developing market opportunities.
- Identify new products and applications based upon industry expertise to sell into existing target markets and customer segments.
- Identify and develop current and new target markets to expand sales of current products.
- Identify and develop new customer segments to expand sales and services into existing accounts.
- Maximize product profitability.
- Support sales personnel and distributor personnel on technically related issues.
- Provide leadership to the department regarding market trends, competitive positioning, pricing issues, etc. in all product areas beyond direct responsibility
- Create market awareness through creative marketing strategies (e.g. technical presentations, demo’s, etc.).
- Frequently consult with sales representatives regarding tools needed to support the sales process (e.g. raising market awareness, increasing leads, reducing sales cycle, handling objections).
- Provide support to the Biotechnology Strategic Planning Team in the form of Market feedback to assist in the strategic planning process.
- Establish and maintain relationships with installed customer base.
- Spend adequate time in the market to understand problems and find innovative solutions and opportunities offering potential to the broader market (e.g. user meetings, scientific meetings, etc.).
- Assist Marketing Managers in the methods and techniques of market intelligence gathering.
- Monitor and analyze:
- Competitive intelligence (e.g. investments, organizational changes, strategies and activities, etc.).
- Product intelligence (e.g. pricing, product introductions, promotions, features/benefits SWOT, etc.).
- Customer intelligence (e.g. products required, customer requirements for each target market and segment, loyalty to and satisfaction with various suppliers, etc.).
- Market intelligence (e.g. market share, opportunity forecasts, market volume analysis, market trends, etc.).
- Specify market requirements for current and future products by conducting market research and networking with customers and potential customers for current and potential target markets.
- Perform market surveys.
- Participate in the overall promotional strategies for all domains, assisting Marketing managers in this function.
- Collaborate with marketing communications to define promotional strategies.
- Draft and review selling materials.
- Maintain Profit and Loss statement, including revenue targets and operational budget.
- Regularly serve as the project leader for the development of products consistent with the assigned product line.
- Serve as the internal and external champion for products or product lines assigned.
- Manage the entire product line life cycle from strategic planning to tactical activities.
- Analyze potential partner relationships for products.
Position Overview: Provide daily technical support to researchers and scientists, especially in the area of photosynthesis; participate in technical sales, marketing and product development processes as needed.
Education: MS degree in biological or physical sciences, with special emphasis in photosynthesis research preferred, OR BS degree in biological or physical sciences with applicable experience.
Experience & Skills:
- Minimum of two (2) years of research experience in an appropriate quantitative technical area involving environmental instrumentation, with preferred experience in photosynthesis instrumentation, including plant gas exchange and leaf chlorophyll fluorescence.
- Experience, or interest and aptitude for providing high quality, responsive customer service.
- Familiarity with the techniques of environmental instrumentation fundamental to plant physiology, ecology, agronomy, or related field.
- Familiarity of mathematical and physical principles as they relate to instrumentation and biological or environmental issues.
- Experience with computers and software, networking & communications.
- High problem solving ability, good attention to detail
- Ability to manage projects and manage multiple priorities
- Self-starter, motivated
- Ability to prepare and give presentations in one-on-one settings or small groups.
- Excellent communications skills in English (verbal and written)
- Team Player. Enjoys and works well with other people in a team environment
- High ethics, integrity, honesty, and patience
- Dependable, positive attitude and good attendance
- Able to travel (US and international)
- TECHNICAL SUPPORT: Provide daily technical assistance to researchers and scientists, communicate with LI-COR scientists and engineers to analyze technical applications and recommend solutions. Analyze and resolve problems relating to instrument use and maintenance, especially for photosynthesis products, including plant gas exchange and leaf chlorophyll fluorescence.
- MARKETING: Participate in developing and reviewing technical and promotional literature. Assist in marketing process by helping gather and assess information about customer needs, competitors, and market trends.
- PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT: Make recommendations for product improvements. Participate in product design teams as needed. Assist in writing and developing Technical Notes. Assist Product Managers with testing new instrumentation, evaluating software, and recommending applications.
- TECHNICAL SALES: Support technical sales by maintaining customer contact records, explain product benefits and features, recommend instrument configurations, and generate price quote requests and sales orders (as applicable). Participate in technical presentations for customers, workshops, demonstrations, and exhibitions (U.S. and international).
- Read scientific journals, newsletters, product literature and other sources of technical information.
- Medium Work- Exerting 20-50 pounds of occasionally, and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Position Overview: Responsible for selling Biotechnology products as assigned in the territory, acquiring and analyzing sales and market information, assisting in promotion efforts, advising management on market and sales strategies, and other job related duties as assigned.
This territory covers the Central U.K. with major accounts in Bristol, Cambridge, Nottingham and Oxford. The ideal candidate will live in one of these metro areas.
Education: MS or BS in biology or related field with a minimum of 3 years lab bench experience in a research laboratory.
Experience & Skills:
- 3+ years of proven successful field sales experience in high end capital equipment to life science and drug discovery researchers in academic and biotech/pharmaceutical companies – may consider related biological/analytical field sales support experience in lieu of direct sales experience.
- 3+ years direct experience preferred in selling products for applications in protein expression and/or image analysis.
- Familiarity with key customer accounts in their region.
- Extensive knowledge of Proteomics research, techniques, and applications.
- Proficiency in presenting technical information at seminars and instrument demonstrations.
- Proficiency in organizing time and territory activities in order to efficiently maximize sales results.
- Highly developed sense of integrity, ethics, and loyalty.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral), interpersonal skills, and sales skills.
- Creative, highly motivated self-starter with good insight and problem-solving skills and highly able to effectively coordinate multiple tasks and projects.
- Team player. Enjoys and works well with other people in a team environment.
- May require up to 50% or more travel in assigned territory, working from a home office.
- Actively sell LI-COR Biotechnology products in territory. Includes qualifying and follow-up of sales leads generated by LI-COR from ads, news releases, shows, mailings, etc. Implement an effective follow-up system for inquiries and sales, and nurture leads to the point of sales closure. Gather and summarize data for evaluation of market impact, share and market strategies. Assist in selling outside of territory as needed.
- Generate new potential sales leads from existing contacts and customer contacts.
- Evaluate and recommend where product demonstrations should be done, arrange logistics, and assist in doing product demonstrations.
- Conduct technical seminars and product demonstrations as appropriate to assist/supplement FAS role.
- Represent LI-COR at exhibitions and conferences and where necessary give presentations.
- Maintain consistent customer contact for on-going sales of reagents, consumables, service contracts, additional equipment, as well as finding new sales prospects from existing users.
- Assist in follow-up of existing users to assure a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Acquire and provide market information to management, including information about customer needs, their suggestions for product improvements, new product ideas, user problems, competition, etc. Advise management in helping to formulate overall marketing plan.
- Analyze current sales and future sales potential in territory and develop a territory sales plan to maximize the market potential. Recommend goals for sales and market share.
- Assist in the sales training of other LI-COR employees and reps.
- Provide regular reports to management of sales activities, status of sales leads, and projected sales.
- Assist in the planning process; consider future products and competition to develop marketing strategies; plan sales meetings; discuss feedback on issues and opportunities; assist in hiring and evaluating resource needs.
- Acquire and maintain technical and other skills necessary to perform job function.
Apply here for future positions.
Please indicate in the Notes section the position you are interested in.
Applicants, please note:
As a part of our selection process, all employment offers are contingent upon passing a post-offer, pre-employment drug test and background check. Some positions also will require DMV checks and/or credit history checks of the applicant as a condition of employment. Refusal to give authorization to the above checks or take the drug test, tampering or failing to cooperate with the test process, or positive test results will disqualify applicants from further consideration for employment with LI-COR.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer