LI-6400XT use in the classroom

Environmental Forum Forums LEEF (LI-COR Environmental Education Fund) LI-6400XT use in the classroom

This topic contains 22 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  JDuBois 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Has anyone expanded the powerpoint presentations provided by LI-COR? It will be good to share slides with each other.

JDuBois
    Participant

I have used the powerpoint slides from LI-COR and modified several of them to fit my course.

JDuBois
    Participant

I am looking to set up some sort of collaboration between my plant physiology course (spring semesters) and another plant physiology course or other course, where students can exchange data, info, findings, questions, etc. I’m not sure how we can do this, but, I think it would be a good thing for students to interact with others using the LI-6400XT.

ssaupe
    Participant

Hi…I, too, would like to collaborate with others on exercises, etc. for classroom use. I just obtained an instrument late fall and used it in my plant physiology class this spring. I found I was recreating a wheel, and although the PPTs were nice, it seems that it would be good to have a series of canned labs ready to go. I still haven’t created any but am willing to work with folks to share. Steve

ahove
    Participant

I’d be interested in collaborating on labs involving the Li6400 XT as well. I received my LiCor last fall and haven’t yet used it in a class. I teach plant physiology every other fall and won’t teach it until Fall 2014. Right now, I’m most interested in developing labs for use in my plant ecology lab this coming fall. But I’m also very interested in creating labs and opportunities for students to share data in a plant physiology course.

daubrey
    Participant

I am also interested in collaborating on labs. Lik ssaupe and ahove, I received my 6400 in the fall, but I haven’t used it yet for class. I teach plant biology and plant physiology in the fall. I will be attending the LEEF training in June. Anyone else planning on attending? That might be a good opportunity to start.

JDuBois
    Participant

I got my 6400 in 2009 and have used it in my plant physiology course four times now (every spring semester). I developed a few lab activities by excerpting from the users manual and modifying to fit what I want to do. I have one lab on an introduction to the instrument (after students have watched the ever-exciting video!), Simple Experiments (where they actually do an A-Ci curve and light response curve manually), Plant Response curves (using the auto-programs), Leaf Fluorescence, and soil respiration (we go all around campus to find different soils & settings). If those of you who have been posting are interested, I would be willing to share my handouts that I give students. A note to daubrey: I did the LEEF training in June 2009. It was a week very well spent! I really learned alot.

schloss
    Participant

I’ve used the 6400 in a Physiological Ecology class for about 10 years, as well as in undergrad rsch projects. Of course it’s a great tool for looking at light response curves in sun/shade & C3/C4 plants – and students love it. But the ramp-up time to get them comfortable using it is significant, as opposed to my using it in a demonstration. Does LiCor have any plans for abstracting manuals and/or disseminating something along the lines of lab handouts?

jwu
    Participant

I just got my 6400 this past winter. I am planning to use it in a field course and undergraduate research project. But I did not get this machine through the LEEF program. So I am wondering if there is a way that I can get the PPT files for my teaching.

My 6400 was a LEEF purchase 5 years ago. I have used it in class and in the field: we only have undergrads here. I think that the biggest challenge for the students is fear. They are terrified that they will break the machine. It takes a lot of encouragement to ensure them that if they do they will still graduate. A fun lab that I have developed (upstate NY) is comparison of red/orange leaves to green leaves in early Fall. They read a few papers on pigments and photoprotection etc. We then do quick light curves followed by light fleck response and light “stress” curves. Green leaves are just always better so it allows us to talk about the hypotheses on photoprotection and other things we could measure to test them more effectively. By the end of lab discussion they usually get to fluorescence as a next step… which we do the next week.

mmorsy
    Participant

It is a great tool especially for undergraduates. When undergraduates see things and measure it by their own hands either in the field or the lab, that make them spark. I hope to get some funding to purchase the LEEF Bud Package sometimes soon!

jkilgore
    Participant

I have used the 6400 for my own graduate research, but now I am an Asst Prof at a small PUI that does not have the resources to fund the “rest” of the LEEF package. How have other folks in similar situations found the funds for this great opportunity?

mmorsy
    Participant

I am in a similar situation, and assistant professor of small undergraduate school. LICOR provides it basically in half price for undergraduate institutes. However, you have to come up with the other half, which is still a lot for small schools to commit. I tried to get the school to buy, but no way they could afford it. Now I am applying for external funding hoping to get funded and then I can buy it.

JDuBois
    Participant

In my undergraduate Plant Physiology course, I require students to operate the instrument. I set it up and change out chambers when necessary, but I tell students that THEY are the ones that are doing the experiments. In the beginning, it is usually one of the better students that steps up and operates it. During each lab, I try to get as many students as possible on the machine. By the end of the semester, each student has operated it at least once. JWatkins – I like the idea of the fall leaves. Do you have a handout or exercise developed for that? If so, I would like to get a copy.

baholloway
    Participant

We have the old version, the LI-COR 6200, and never quite figured out how to make it work for a class of 16-20 students. Now it is just sitting in the cabinet collecting dust. I am reading these comments and am wondering what makes the 6400 different that one can actually use it for teaching a class of say 16 student? Or are your class sizes smaller? I would be interested in reading some of your labs to see if this is something we could use and maybe upgrade or trade in our old machine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.