Some customers have inquired if the Windows® Interface Software that accompanies our area meters will work with Windows® 7. Even though Microsoft® developed this operating system years after the LI-3000C Portable Area Meter and the LI-3100C Area Meter were launched, these two instruments still operate as usual with version 1.0.0 of their respective interface programs.
The instrument’s RS-232 connection functions normally as it did with Windows 98, 2000, XP, and Vista. However, there are some steps necessary to allow USB connectivity with the instruments. The LI-3000C and LI-3100C have a USB connector that requires a software driver be installed.
When using the instrument with Windows 7, the computer will treat the instrument’s USB connection as an RS-232 serial port, which requires a Device Manager modification. Follow the instructions below to install the USB driver. (This example uses the LI-3000C Portable Area Meter, but the instructions are the same for the LI-3100C Area Meter).
1. Power on the LI-3000C.
2. Insert the CD that came with the LI-3000C into the computer. If you do not have the CD that came with the instrument, you can download the driver here:
Once you’ve downloaded the folder from our website, unzip the folder.
3. Open the Start menu on the computer, and click on the Control Panel. A new window will open, and should look like the window below. If it does not look like this, go to the “View by:” field in the upper right corner. Click on the blue text and select “Large icons”.
4. Click on the Device Manager icon (not the Devices and Printers icon). The Device Manager window opens. Notice that under Ports, there may already be some ports occupied, even though there may not be any devices physically connected to the computer.
5. Connect the USB cable to the LI-3000C and the computer.
6. In the Device Manager, another icon should appear above Ports, under a node called ‘Other Devices’. It will display something like ‘USB Serial Port’. Double-click on it.
7. A new screen should pop up, with four tabs on the top. Click on the Driver tab.
8. Click on the “Update Driver…” button.
9. Click “Browse my computer for driver software”.
10. Click the “Browse…” button. If you are using the CD, go to Computer, expand the CD drive folder (usually D: or E:), and select the “drivers” folder. (Do not select any particular folder within the Drivers folder, just the folder itself.) If you have downloaded the driver from our website, select the unzipped folder. Click OK.
11. Underneath “Search for driver software in this location:” it should now show the path to the “drivers” folder.
12. Click Next. The installation will run, and then open a window that displays “Windows has successfully updated your driver software.”
13. Restart your computer.
14. Return to the Device Manager. The LI-3000C Area Meter should now be listed under Ports. It will have a port number behind it (for example, COM11).
15. Open the LI-3000C Windows software. Click on Connection, and Connect.
16. Instead of selecting USB for communication, select Serial. Set the COM port to the number that your Device Manager displays.
17. Click Connect. The instrument should now be connected via the LI-3000C software.