The LI-8100A Interface Software is only available for Windows computers. Fortunately for Mac OS X users, there are still a few ways to download LI-8100A data onto a Mac. You can save the data to a Compact Flash card on the instrument, then eject it and use a card reader to import the data directly. You can also use our SoilFluxPro software (available for Windows and Mac) to connect to the instrument and download data. There are two connection options using this software: RS-232 and Ethernet.
Most computers don’t have physical serial ports anymore, so you’ll probably want to use a USB-to-RS-232 adapter if you need a serial connection. We recommend using one with an FTDI chipset—we’ve found that several third-party USB adapters may not transmit all the data properly. We can only recommend the USB adapter that comes with the instrument (white with blue LEDs), although most Belkin and Keyspan adapters work as well.
1. Connect the USB-to-RS-232 adapter to the computer.
2. In SoilFluxPro, select File, Acquire. A new window will appear. RS-232 should be automatically selected on the right side of the window.
3. Select the serial port from the first dropdown menu. It should appear as /dev/cu.usbserial followed by a series of letters and numbers.
4. Select the correct baud rate from the second dropdown menu. If your instrument has version 4.0 or greater embedded software, select 38400. If your instrument has version 1, 2, or 3 embedded software, select 57600.
5. Click Connect To LI-8100. You should now be able to see the files in the Internal Storage or CF Card and transfer them to your computer by clicking the Download button.
If you’re using an Ethernet connection, or wireless if the LI-8100A has a Cisco wireless card installed, then you’ll need to use a static IP address. In addition, you’ll need to know the static IP address of the LI-8100A—if you don’t, you’ll need to connect via RS-232.
1. Select System Preferences from the Apple menu.
2. Select Network. A new window should appear.
3. If you’re using a physical Ethernet connection, click on the Ethernet option on the left. If you’re using a wireless connection, click on Wi-Fi and select the Soil Network (typically Soil Network 1).
4. If there is a TCP/IP tab at the top, click on it. Otherwise, select the dropdown box next to Configure IPv4.
5. Select “Configure IPv4 Manually” or the option labeled Manually in the Configure IPv4 dropdown box.
6. Set the IP address to something similar to the LI-8100A’s IP address except in the last octet. For example, if your LI-8100A’s IP address is 192.168.100.101, then you should set your Mac to have an IP address of 192.168.100.102.
7. Set Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0. Router should be left blank.
8. Click OK, then click Apply.
9. In SoilFluxPro, select File, Acquire. A new window will appear. Select Ethernet on the right side of the window.
10. Enter the IP address of the LI-8100A (for example, 192.168.100.101).
11. Click Connect To LI-8100. You should now be able to see the files in the Internal Storage or CF Card, and transfer them to your computer by clicking the Download button.