Leaf Area Index
Choose from the Leaf Area Index Applications below to view video demonstrations of the LAI-2200 in action.
Foliage density (rather than LAI) is the result when measuring an isolated tree canopy. For a typical tree canopy, measurements are taken around the tree trunk in each cardinal direction.
- Use a view cap with a 45° opening.
- Each "below" reading should have its own "above" reading.
- Be sure that the each pair of readings (one "above" and the associated "below" reading) are taken in the same compass direction and with the same view cap.
- Make one measurement in each cardinal direction.
- For better spatial averaging, more measurements can be made with a narrower view cap.